Saturday, January 22, 2011

Blog Post #1: The importance of Effective Communication

Firstly, let me share with you one of my stories.

Two years ago, I had a chance to work in an amusement park in Ohio, USA. The working culture in America is different from Singapore and Asia in general. People tend to work independently and strictly, even with co-workers. Though I admit that they were very sociable, it took me a hard time to communicate with a wide range of people. Then it was the first time ever I realized the paramount importance of effective communication. And I told myself that I would perform better if I had tried to move out of my comfort zone and interacted more with people.

Bearing that in mind, I also realize how effective communication can foster team work and friendship. In doing school project, the most important thing is not how good I do, but how I manage myself and others to deliver the project’s objective towards the end. In fact, good communication will boost the productivity of all the members in a team. For friendship, it is good to have many friends, but it is difficult to maintain such relationship without effective communication.   

To summarize, effective communication is a mean to archive any target in working and studying. I hope I will become a better communicator through this course.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dan,

    Thanks for this very concise post (217 words!), and also for sharing with us your personal experience interacting with people from a different culture.

    The best learning experience is always when you plunge headlong into a challenge. It is only when you dared yourself to challenge your limits will you emerge a stronger and wiser person.

    I look forward to working with you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan,

    Here is Ella Liu Chang.

    I have the same experience with you as working in USA, but I worked in Virginia Beach. Also, I strongly agree with you that "the most important thing is not how good I do, but how I manage myself and others to deliver the project’s objective towards the end." That is the exactly the meaning of team spirit.

    We all have a role in the society. Communication is the tool to connect us. That is why we need to train ourselves with effective communication.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO DAN!

    Last summer holiday I went to Toronto for a summer programme. One of my initial goal was to make friends with the Canadians. However, I realised that I am not able to step out of my comfort zone to make friends with them. Not that they are not friendly, just that I do not know how to initiate or continue any conversation with them. From here I can see the root of my problem, not being able to communicate effectively with people around me.

    I also hope I will be a better communicator through this module! :)

    ReplyDelete